Pages

Tuesday 4 September 2018

Material Masterclass - Part II

After studying various materials, we went on painting some of their textures on paper and glazing them. Very helpful for me because *shame on me* I still hadn't mastered glazing at that point in time.

For those of you who still struggle with this technique as well: Try it on paper and you will quickly see whether there is, for example, too much water in your brush.






After all these exercises to understand how grisaille works, we finally started painting our own busts using this technique. Impressions:






Instead of using a brush, I even started painting the leather gloves with my fingers before adding more texture to it - that was fun!


Looked awful at first. At least, that's what I thought before we started adding colour to our busts by glazing them:



 



The results are amazing (don't you think so?) and I'm glad to be able to add yet another tool (or rather two if you also count glazing) to my 'painting toolbox' by attending this workshop and can only recommend you to do the same. Here's a link to this year's Massive Voodoo workshop roadmap in case this blogpost has inspired you to give it a try:

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2017/11/mv-workshop-roadmap-2018.html

1 comment:

Shadespyre said...

Oh! I see!

This seems a bit like drybrushing a black undercoated mini with white to provide highlights / shade under thin layers of paint? But in this case you are painting a texture on to the surface rather than relying on the sculpted texture which is already there. I think this might be fiddly to do on a 28mm mini (for my skill level, anyway) but I wonder if I could try it on some larger models such as Reaper Bones monsters.

As always, all those WIP models look amazing. I'm always impressed by how artists with such high skill levels are still eager to learn more :)